The estate of the castle of Villers and its Hunting Lodge
I. WELCOME to these pages.
I hope you will enjoy this virtual tour through the estate and in particular the hunting lodge as a holiday accommodation of exceptional quality, which sleeps 1 – 12 persons.
Here you will find some general information and lots of pictures in particular on the chateau and park + mid May 2011 inaugurated swimming pool with removable shelter, and on the hunting lodge, the East Wing and the West Wing, or the lodge as a whole, East & West Wing, with its large garden, barbecues, long chairs etc.; its ochard, children playground and picnic corner, horse stables and table tennis facility.
See also the amazing pictures of the inside of the dovetower / pigeonnier.
For factual information on fees, contact- and mail addresses click on chapter VI
For availability click as well on chapter VI,
– Sub section East Wing (which sleeps 2 to 6 or 8) and
– Sub section West Wing (which sleeps 2 to 4 or 6), or the whole lodge
– Sub section East- & West Wing
Chapter VII gives an impression of the village, Villers en Argonne, in which the estate is situated, while chapters VIII provides information and pictures on the Surroundings and the History of Villers respectively; a village, so closely linked with the history of the castle and its owners for over 3 centuries, the Chamisso, the Lords of the land.
For a portret and biography (English and Dutch) of Adelaide de Chamisso or Adelbert von Chamisso as he is known worldwide, the most illustrious member of this family, press chapter IX Adelbert von Chamisso.
For a lot more information on what to do and what to visit in the Champagne, I suggest to go on the official website: email@example.com or www.tourisme-en-champagne.com.
To give you an idea of how previous guests appreciated their stay with us, you find hereunder, chapter XI, Guestbook, more recent mails or guestbook notes I retrieved from our English speaking guests. As regards our Dutch, German and French speaking guests, see the relevant chapter in these languages.
III. TABLE OF DISTANCES
Villers is on the border of the historic Champagne region and of Lorraine; of Marne and Meuse. A strategic area of utmost importance where the Gallic world met the Germanic world and where since the 13th century most of Europes battles were fought.
You are in fact in the middle of the Great War (World War I) battle fields. The start if that War 100 years ago, we are commemorating in 2014.
All sorts of excursions close by are possible at both sides of this borderline, and done as our guestbook shows.
To give you some idea of the possibilities farther away than the near beyond of Villers, herewith some hard data as regards timelines:
– CHALONS EN CHAMPAGNE OH41 DRIVE, 56 KM
– BAR LE DUC 0H43 DRIVE, 42KM
– VERDUN 0H51 DRIVE, 46 KM
– REIMS 0H55 DRIVE, 88 KM
– LAC DE DER, BIGGEST ARTIFICIAL LAKE IN EUROPE, NATURE RESERVE AND WITH LOTS OF WATERSPORT FACILITIES
* 1H DRIVE, 60 KM (Sainte-Marie-du-Lac-Nuisement, village on the lake, or Saint Dizier, worth visiting in its own right)
* OR 1H04, 62 KM (Giffaumont-Champaubert, village on the other side of the lake)
– EPERNAY 1H09 DRIVE, 95 KM
– METZ 1H13 DRIVE,126 KM
– NANCY 1H52, 126 KM
– TROYES 1H30 148 KM- LUXEMBOURG 1H36, 168 KM (45 minutes with the TGV from Reims)
– DISNEYLAND 1H50, 196 KM
– PARIS 2H13, 229 KM (35 minutes with the TGV from Reims).
IV. BED & BREAKFAST / CHAMBRES D’ HOTE
From 1 September 2012, the possibility exists to rent a room in the East Wing of the castle itself.
There are three rooms on the first floor ( and if desired a 4th on the ground floor), fully restored, two with antique furniture, the third and largest room with an Interluebke wall – bookcase with TV, DVD and video playback equipment. As wall decoration paintings and authentic engravings 16-19 th century:
– Green Room with adjoining shower and toilet in annex, two large single beds old style (doubters) 115 x 185/190 cm, satellite TV / radio with DVD and video playback equipment.
– Yellow Room with adjoining shower & toilet in annex, Louis XVI furniture, double bed (136 x 190 cm) in alcove, satellite TV / radio and DVD playback equipment.
– Blue Napoleon room, separate bathroom with toilet, empire furniture, single bed (106 x 185 cm).
The East Wing has its own entrance.
All rooms have magnificent views of the castle grounds. Guests have access to the castle park and the terrace, and may at times agreed use the ( possibly covered) swimming pool.
Breakfast is in the dining room of the castle.
Prices: Respectively 120 E (2pp), 100 E (2pp), and 75 E (1pers.) per night .
Johannes C. Landman, January 2, 2014